Valve introduced Steam Deck, its handheld PC in the form of a Nintendo Switch with a 7-inch screen.
The device ships this December at a price of £ 349 / $ 399 with 64GB of storage, with advanced storage options priced at £ 459 / $ 529 (250GB SSD) and £ 569/649 (512GB SSD).
Steam Deck has two analog sticks, two touchpads, analog triggers, ABXY face buttons, four rear buttons, and gyro controls.
Introducing Steam Deck: powerful, portable PC gaming 9+. Designed by Valve, powered by Steam. Shipping December 2021.
– Steam (@Steam) July 15, 2021
It has a custom Zen 2 AMD processor, a USB-C port, and a microSD slot for storage expansion. According to Valve, Steam Deck is “like a gaming laptop with the ability to run the latest AAA games.”
Valve is promoting the device along with videos depicting games like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Control, and of course, your Steam library is instantly accessible.
But as a PC, not a closed ecosystem, Valve says you can install and use other PC software as well. “Search the web, watch streaming video, do your normal productivity tasks, install other game stores, whatever,” notes Valve.
For comparison, Steam Deck’s 7-inch touchscreen is the same size as the upcoming Switch OLED and larger than the 6.2-inch screen on the base Switch.
A dock will be sold separately to connect the Steam Deck to external displays, wired networks, USB peripherals and power.
Paid reservations to purchase a Steam Deck will begin tomorrow, July 16, limited to one per customer for anyone with a Steam account who made a purchase prior to June 2021. Take the scalper!
For everyone else, paid reservations open 48 hours later on Sunday, July 18th. Reservations are open to anyone in the US, Canada, the EU and the UK. The reservation fee will be deducted from your total purchase price and will be refunded in the event of cancellation.)
We first heard about Steam Deck earlier this year in a report describing a “Switch-like” handheld gaming PC for release later in 2021. At that time it was called “Steam Pal” and unfortunately not Gabe Boy.
“We believe Steam Deck is another way for people to play the games they love on a high-performance device at a great price,” Valve CEO Gabe Newell said today. “As a gamer, I’ve always wanted this product. And as a game developer, it’s the mobile device I’ve always wanted for our partners. “
We have listed the specifications in full below.
- Processor: AMD APU
- CPU: Zen 2 4c / 8t, 2.4-3.5 GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
- GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6 GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
- APU power: 4-15W
- RAM: 16 GB LPDDR5-RAM (5500 MT / s)
- Storage: 64 GB eMMC (PCIe Gen 2 x1) or 256 GB NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4) or 512 GB high-speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
- All models have a high-speed microSD card slot
Controls and input
- Gamepad controls: ABXY buttons, D-Pad, L&R analog trigger, L&R bumper, view and menu buttons, 4 assignable grip buttons
- Thumbsticks: 2 x full-size analog sticks with capacitive touch
- Haptics: HD haptics
- Trackpads: 2 x 32.5 mm square trackpads with haptic feedback (55 percent better latency compared to Steam Controller, pressure sensitivity for configurable click strength)
- Gyro: 6-axis IMU
- Resolution: 1280 x 800 px (16:10 aspect ratio)
- Type: Optically bonded LCD for improved readability
- Display size: 7 “diagonal
- Brightness: 400 nits typical
- Refresh rate: 60Hz
- Touch activated: Yes
- Sensors: ambient light sensor
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0 (support for controllers, accessories and audio)
- WLAN: Dual-band WLAN radio, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, 2 x 2 MIMO, IEEE 802.11a / b / g / n / ac
- Channels: Stereo with embedded DSP for an immersive listening experience
- Microphones: dual microphone array
- Headphone / Microphone Jack: 3.5mm stereo headphone / headset jack
- Digital: Multi-channel audio via DisplayPort via USB-C, standard USB-C or Bluetooth 5.0
- Input: 45W USB Type-C PD3.0 power supply
- Battery: 40 Wh battery. 2 – 8 hours of playing time
- microSD: UHS-I supports SD, SDXC and SDHC
- External connectivity for controllers and displays: USB-C with DisplayPort 1.4 Alt-Mode support; up to 8K @ 60Hz or 4K @ 120Hz, USB 3.2 Gen 2
height and weight
- Size: 298mm x 117mm x 49mm
- Weight approx. 669 grams
- Operating system: SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based)
- Desktop: KDE Plasma
Official Dock (Sold Separately)
- Peripherals: 1 x USB-A 3.1 port, 2 x USB-A 2.0 ports
- Network: Ethernet
- External displays: DisplayPort 1.4, HDMI 2.0
- Power input: USB-C Power Delivery passthrough input
- Deck connection: 6 “USB-C captive cable with flat 90 ° plug
- Size: 117mm x 29mm x 50.5mm
- Weight approx. 120 grams